Monday, June 13, 2011

Tickled Pink Gelato!

I am still tickled pink (gelato!) after last week's Kaisercraft announcement. So to start off this week, I'd like to share my Pink Gelato trinket box turned embroidery storage box. It is the other project for the final round of the Kaisercraft DT application.

When I saw the trinket box, I knew it would be perfect as my new embroidery storage box. The top compartment is used to store small tools, needles, and loose embroidery floss. The two drawers is used to store all of my embroidery floss and other loose threads, etc. The gorgeous bicycle design on the Vanilla pattern paper instantly reminded me of the New York Hampton’s where people would visit on holiday wearing cute Lilly Pulitzer shift dresses and bicycling around town.

pearllui-kaisercraft-trinketbox-frontstraightview-400blog

Used: Kaisercraft pattern papers; KaiserColour acrylic paint in green; Kaisercraft Locks & Hinges wood embellishments; Kaisercraft pearl brads; Me & My Big Ideas rhinestones; Mod Podge; Elmer’s wood glue; Glue dots; Magnet sheet; Bic Mark-it markers; Stickles

Here are some additional views:

pearllui-kaisercraft-trinketbox-frontsideview-400blog pearllui-kaisercraft-trinketbox-backsideview-400blog pearllui-kaisercraft-trinketbox-topview-400blog

  • One of my favorite tips for any MDF project: First, I put together the box (without any permanent adhesive) so I could see what the finished box looked like before decorating it. This allowed me to visualize the design on the finished piece. (For example, I wanted to fit the whole bicycle from the Vanilla pattern paper, so I was able to see that the whole bicycle scene could fit on the entire front surface of the box.) Then I just simply marked all the surfaces with a pencil indicating where I wanted to paint and where I wanted to affix Pink Gelato paper. The markings didn't show on the final project since they were covered with paint or paper.

  • To keep a clean MDF piece, I also recommend completing the painting first, before adhering paper. Since paint can drip, you want to let it all dry first.

  • One of my favorite parts of the box is the magnet sheet adhered to the underside of the cover. It's extremely useful in keeping needles and metal tidbits in place.
Thanks for stopping!
- KRAFTY pearl

4 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!!!! so very deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! So excited for you.. and I love that box.. I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The magnet sheet is a very cool idea and I love the bright green! Grats so much! Janna

    ReplyDelete