Friday, March 18, 2011

Good Ol' Crepe Paper Roses

Crepe paper roses... remember those jammies from way back when? I remember folding bouquets of these for my mom and friends as far back as junior high school. Recently, I decided to incorporate some of these roses in a scrapbook layout. And since then, it's been a favorite flower making technique for me.

Making your own flowers is the trend right now and Cosmo Cricket has a challenge to make your own flowers on their blog. So here's what I made. A simple stamped tag embellished with a glitter-dusted crepe paper rose.

blog - crepe paper rose tag

Used: Warble Dear Lizzy Large Clear Acrylic Stamp Set by American Crafts, crepe paper streamer from Party City :), Martha Stewart glitter


Here's a closer look at the roses:

blog - crepe paper roses details 1


And they're really cute just set up on my desk. Beats real roses because they don't need any maintenance! :)

blog - crepe paper roses details 2

Want to make these for yourself? I have a tutorial below but I encourage you to search for 'crepe paper roses' on Google to find all the different ways of folding and see which technique/end result you'd like to try. Each artist folds them just slightly different giving the roses a different appearance.

Here's my tutorial of the method I learned long ago.

What you'll need: crepe paper streamer (approximately 1.75" width), clear liquid adhesive, old plastic bristle brush for applying glue, washi or flower tape, glitter

blog - crepe paper rose tools


How to:
  1. Cut strips of crepe paper ranging from 18-24 inches. The longer the crepe paper, the fuller and likely tighter your rose will appear. My roses shown above use 24" strips of crepe paper.
  2. Follow steps 1 through 7 in my illustration below.
  3. Brush on some clear liquid adhesive and dust on glitter to add some sparkle and there you have it, crepe paper roses!

blog - crepe paper rose folding instructions


Hope you enjoyed my tutorial!

Update: One last pic of pink roses turned orange using Smooch Spritz in gingersnap (yellow) and some orange glitter. After I let the ink dry, I painted the roses lightly with liquid glue and dipped them into the glitter. So you can actually use any color crepe paper and change its color through spray inks for another take on them.

blog - crepe paper roses smooch spritz glitter

- KRAFTY pearl


P.S. Follow my blog with bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. I remember when I used to make flowers out of ribbon and tulle back in high school, these remind of those times! I love how you added glitter and use them in mini vases, totally cute! - val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are amazing. I think I'm going to give it a whirl for my daughter's bday. Thank you for a great idea! (here from tipjunkie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. I have googled other crepe roses and your are best, bar none. However, since I am a visual type gal, I cannot for the life of me get the way you made them. Mine look nothing like yours. I am sure it's not as hard as I'm making it. Thanks though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tutorial and I just love those roses!!

    ReplyDelete